IVF stands for in vitro fertilization, it is infertility treatment in which women eggs are removed from ovaries and fertilized by the man sperm in the laboratory. Once the embryos are formed they are put back into the uterus through the cervix to achieve pregnancy. If you are concern about the money then you can come to India for treatment, as IVF treatment in India is very economical. The mentioned below are the process and treatment involved in IVF treatment.
- Preparatory test
The preparatory test involves the basic evaluation such as
- Blood test
- Physical fitness
- Test to check the hormone level
- Commencement of the treatment
In this, you have to visit the best IVF center for a checkup on the specified day of the menstrual cycle.
- Ovarian stimulation
Medication is prescribed during this treatment to stimulate the ovaries to produce eggs, as this increases the chance of pregnancy. The ovarian stimulation is divided into two protocols depending on your history and reports.
- Long protocol: in this treatment patient is given an injection from the 21st day of the previous menstrual cycle and you have to visit the IVF clinic on the third day of next menstrual cycle to initiate the ovarian stimulation.
- Antagonist protocol: this protocol requires a few injections and the process began on the second day of the menstrual period.
- Ultrasound Examination
This is the treatment in which vaginal ultrasound examination is conducted at a regular interval of time to examine the response of injection in the ovaries.
- HCG Injection/GnRH Injection
This injection is given to activate the final maturation of the eggs and make them ready for assemblage, this happens about 34 to 36 hours later.
- Ovum Pickup (Egg Collection)
In this process, the eggs the ovaries with the help of Transvaginal Sonography. The time required by the procedure is 15 to 30 minute and the quantity of egg depends upon the response of the injection. In some cases, the patient suffers from vaginal spotting and abdominal discomfort, but these can be settled in a few days.
- Sperm Collection
In this treatment fresh semen sample is collected on the same day, but in some cases, the husband is not available than previously frozen sample can be used.
- After Ovum pickup
After the ovum picks up egg is fertilized in the lab. Next day specialist examines the egg fertilization and further, there is a process of embryos development.
- Embryo Transfer
Embryo transfer is performed after three or five of egg collection. In this process, the embryo is transferred to the uterus through the cervix via a thin tube. After the transfer medicines are prescribed.
- Pregnancy Test
After two weeks of embryo transfer, the beta-HCG test is conducted. If the test is positive then vaginal ultrasound is taken to check the pregnancy. If the test is negative then further treatment depends upon the frozen embryo.
Precautions after an IVF treatment
- Avoid the vigorous exercise, heavy lifting and other activities that involve jarring or potentially jarring movements
- Take the medicine as prescribed by a doctor, as medicine play an important role to achieve pregnancy.
- Avoid smoking, cigarette, alcohol
- Avoid the exposure to X-ray
Consult a doctor before taking any medicine.